Tuesday, December 1, 2009

chapter twenty-two

It had been a long march. Kiera was with Daniel planning out their approach to the next town. Tressa decided that while she wasn't really required to obey Daniel; the oppurtunity to learn how to fight was probably a good thing. So she reported to Enge as directed.

He was standing with a group of young men, hurling mild insults and and occasionaly stepping in and showing them how to do things right.
"Sir. I was told that you were the one to talk to about fighting."
Tressa was doing her best to appear humble, people were more likely to help if they thought you actually respected them.
"A little girl like you, fight? I'll be honest with ya kiddo; I wouldn't feel right letting someone your age into the fray."
"What if they attack the camp? How would I defend myself?"
Enge walked over to her, "In't that what you've got magic for lass?"
"Magic needs energy, and skill. If I could fight for real it would be easierto use magic. Or at least that's what Miss. Kiera says."
"So the lady wants you to learn how to fight? Well I can't argue with that. Grab a training sword and lets get started."
"Thanks!"

"They have a camp on the hill there."
"That's to far from town to be reasonable. They'll have an outpost somewhere in town than."
Kiera and Daniel were surveying their destination. They wanted to make this quick and clean; with as few deaths as possible.
"We'll split our forces. You take a small company up the main street, checking houses for survivors as you go. I'll take the main force to the far side of town and fortify the mansion. You send, whoever your second in command is..."
"Enge"
"Enge, with a second company to clear their encampment. Bring any survivors to the mansion."
"Yes ma'am, anything else?"
"Yea, was there an attack last night? I noticed that Tressa's hand got injured."
Daniel had been hoping she wouldn't notice, but he'd rather expected it. He knew that Tressa's oath would have forced her to lie about it; so he decided to play dumb.
"Not to my knowledge, maybe she just tripped and hurt it on a rock or something."
"She was probably just embarassed then. I'm going to leave her in charge of camp when we attack the town tomorrow."
"Probably a good idea, she did rather well with the watch by all accounts."
"I'm glad to hear that; I was a bit hesitant at the idea of letting her command. I can't imagine she'd get a whole lot of respect from your men."
"She scares the willies out of them."
Kiera laughed, "She is a bit of a witch isn't she? Still, I can't help but like the poor kid; even if it's just out of pity."
"Dame Allistari didn't mention anything about her parents, did she?"
"Apparently her mother is a guard up at the palace."
"Really? Did she survive?"
"I don't know, the only guard who wasn't here eleven years ago is Callin. And she's an imperial."
Daniel barely contained his surprise.
"What did you say her name was?"
"Callin."
"The Callin, the one from the tournaments?"
"You know her?"
"We've, met once or twice. She taught me a lot of what I know about fighting."
"No kidding! Me to. I convinced her to start giving me lessons with the sword about eight years ago."
Their was no denying it now, this was definetly kora.
"Where'd you learn magic?"
"Books mostly, a little here and there from the other nobles. The king of Tara was particularly helpful. Said I reminded him of his niece, only blonder and cleaner."
"Well then, looks like I underestimated you. You may be the better warrior after all."
"Now we just need to hope I'm also a better commander."

No comments:

Post a Comment