Thursday, December 3, 2009

Chapter Twenty-Five

The Mansion had been designed rather nicely for this sort of thing. Local aristocracy must have been very concerned about the intrests of the people.
"I've assembled the survivors in the auditorium."
Kiera was sitting in an office attached to the auditorium. It wasn't a big room, but since her council only consisted of four people it worked just fine.
"Thank you Enge."
"I just wish there'd been more."
The office had a one way view of the auditorium. It had been treated to look like a wall from the other side. A very simple holographic generator had been built into it to display a portrait of the local noble.
"It's just a speech. It's not like you haven't delivered one before."
They'd found his body in an upstairs bedroom. The Ga-Vok hadn't bothered to clean anything up.
"No. I just haven't delivered a speech in public before."
"There's no difference, believe me."
Kiera glanced into the auditorium. It was packed; every seat was full, and the walls were lined. There were even a few children planted at the front of the podium.
"I can charm them if you want."
Tressa handed Kiera the notes she'd prepared back at Castle Marche.
"Thank you Tressa. I'll be fine."
"Well, if you change your mind you know how to ask."
"I'll be fine, no magic."

Kiera took a deep breath, steeled her nerves, and stepped into the auditorium.
The whole room was silent, except for a few people shifting about.
"My name is Kiera Gansfeld, heir to the throne of Anatolia. I'm here to help."
The room quieted as people's attention became fixed on her.
"About five month's ago there was an attack made against Anatolia by the Ga-Vok. I and a number of others managed to escape the palace. We do not know what has happened there since then.
A month and a half ago, my fellow survivors and I established contact with survivors based out of Castle Marche. I was able to secure the assistance of several combat trained individuals while there. We are in the process of reestablishing contact with the rest of Anatolia.
We are prepared to render military and medical asistance wherever possible. Our objective is to establish a resistance to the present Ga-Vok occupation. Anyone interested in joining between the ages of sixteen and one hundred and fifty should report to the market square tomorrow morning for training. We will have personel available for drilling and sparring. Weapons will be available."
A gentle murmur began rising from the crowd.
"Anyone not interested should report to me in the garden. I wil be Organizing salvage parties to comb the town for usable supplies. Are there any questions?"
Someone cheered, a few of the older members of the crowd cried, a few of the others began applauding, and one hand went up.
"Excuse me."
"Yes?"
"How many other towns have you been to?"
Kiera's head drooped, she hated to break up a good mood like this.
"This is the first one. I was actually hoping we could find some maps here to help locate other local towns."
The same man kept his hand up.
"How quickly could you leave if you didn't need a map?"
"Tomorrow morning, we haven't unpacked yet."
"I drove supplies before the attack. I know this area like the back of my hand."
"Congratulations, you've just been drafted. After everyone else leaves could you join us upstairs?"
"Yes ma'am. Any chance I can to get home."

Kiera shuffled her papers and stepped back into the office. Daniel, Tressa, and Enge stepped out into the hallway.
"Enge, get your men together and put everything back where you found it."
"But sir. The men expect to get their loot."
"No 'but's' Enge. You heard the lady, we're here to help. Now how helpful do we look the first time one of them sees two of my men comparing pieces of their jewelry?"
"Yes sir, but they're not gonna like it."
"Remind them what they're getting for this. This isn't just another job; this is a war. If we win this, full pardons and pensions for everyone."
"I hope so. By the gods captain, I don't want to be around if we don't."

No comments:

Post a Comment