Thursday, December 10, 2009

Chapter Thirty-One; Act Three

Sorry for the delay, It's finals week and I've been studying.


Daniel opened his eyes. This wasn't where he'd been when...
Oh right, the arrow.
"He's awake!"
"Where am I? Is this a dream?"
"No, it's the master bedroom at Castle Marche. The count was kind enough to lend it to you while you recovered."
"Looks like I got lucky then."
Kiera looked away nervously.
"Wait, I'm dead aren't I? My parents told me that something like this might happen."
"No, but you were. Dead that is."
"Oh crap! I'm in some kind of otherworldly torture chamber. Back demon! You shall not have my soul."
"Hello son."
"Dad? But you're in prison."
"Full pardon, how are you?"
"I suspect I may be dead, but I feel fine."
"You're not dead. This lovely young lady took care of that."
Tressa waved from the doorway.
"This just keeps getting worse. Now I owe the twerp my life. And who was irresponsible enough to let an eleven year old girl holding my life in her hands?"
"Your lucky Tressa was willing to help at all. We've recruited hundreds of magic users since you died, and not a single one of them even believed it could be done. Several mages presented very well constructed arguements against it, and almost all of the witches had horror stories of the terrible things that have happened to those who have attempted it."
"So you let a crazy Eleven year old girl in control of my future?"
"I'm Fourteen, you've been out for a little over a year."
"You mean I lost a year of my life?"
Tressa glared at him fiercly, "You aren't the only one who lost a year of your life, and I lost mine a lot faster. Ressurections shouldn't be taken lightly."
"Tress, why don't you go get started on that assignment I gave you?"
Tressa looked at Daniel's father, "Ok sir, and Miss Kiera, the council is waiting for you downstairs."
"Tell them I'll be right down," Kiera called to Tressa as she left. "I'm glad to have you back captain. This war hasn't been the same without you."
Kiera stepped out, closing the door behind her.
"Alright old man, what do you want?"
"I need to get to your mother. There's something I need to take care of."
"Then you came to the right place, She was stationed up at the palace when the attack took place. How come I never heard about this pardon?"
"I'll have no further buisness with the guild. I was staying with Uncle Thule on Tara."
"I'd have heard about it then. My contacts in the palace would have informed me."
"What kind of assasin would I be if I let people know where I was? I'm not interested in discussing what I've been doing with you, I'm here for two reasons, one of them I'll be taking care of tonight here at the castle, the other..."
He gripped his right forearm.
"If you're going after Mom you'll need my men. The Ga-Vok had the palace locked down last time I heard."
"That hasn't changed. But they aren't your men anymore. While you were gone Enge assumed your responsibilities. They fight for Kiera now."
"Nervey old salt."
"He's done a good job of it too. Your men are the Anatolian army's vanguard."
"I can't imagine there are many left."
"When you feel up to it, look outside. We aren't losing this war, and with you back victory will come all the swifter."
"If you don't need my help; what do you want?"
"My son was in trouble. I came to help him."
"Enough of that old man. I needed you a year ago; Now I'm fine. Why are you still here?"
He turned and stepped out. He stopped in the doorway for a moment.
"Son. Whatever happens, your mother and I have always, and will always, loved you."
"For all the good that's done me."
And he was gone again; vanished into the approaching night.

No comments:

Post a Comment