Sunday, December 27, 2009

Chapter Twelve, 'Retreat of the Winds

Alicea awoke to the wind. Clouds flowed about her on a gentle breeze, the rock beneath her was bare and grey, and there was silence. Her only companion in this desolate place was an iron statue sitting between her and the path down the rock. She rose and saw only one choice, to go down the rock and seek for a return to the tower. All else could be set aside, her quest for the Nielda was not urgent but the longer she was away from the island the worse the region would grow. And Vel would need to be protected.

"It is futile." A metallic voice came from the statue as she neared it.
"Am I dead, or is this an illusion?"
"This place is true. This is the retreat of the winds. You are their guest."
"Then why can't I leave?"
"You are not ready."
"I must not let down the ones who need me. Let me go so I can defeat Kron!"

The statue took hold of her as she attempted to pass. Its grip was tight.
"I said to let me go!"
She attempted to force it as she passed, but it flipped her and pinned her to the ground.
"The blade must be honed. A warrior like their weapon must be tempered to reach its potential."

It stood before her. The statue was nearly nine feet tall; almost twice the size of the average Ga-Vok, and an easy three feet taller than herself. It was iron, or something similar, and it seemed to be animated not by an enchantment but by some deep magic.
She still had her axes, and magic was again in her grasp. She chose to force her way past.
"If you will not let me past, I will destroy you and continue myself."

No comments:

Post a Comment