Thursday, December 3, 2009

chapter twenty-four

"The camp must stretch down over the other side of the hill."
"We get this taken care of quickly; Enge may need our help."
"This is my fault. I should have taken more time to scout the area."
"We can question this later, get your archers to the second floor."

Kiera climbed onto the fountain in the middle of the plaza. The plumbing must have broken since the attack. Other than a small pool at the base, it was completly dry.
"There must be six-hundred of them."
"You take the west side of the plaza, I'll cover the east."
"Shouldn't we both stay in the middle so we can hold it better?"
"And be cut off from our exits when they overrun the fountain? No way I'm letting you endanger yourself like that."
"Then why aren't you manning the fountain?"
"Because if you're over there, someone needs to command the men over here."
"Sounds to me like you're just afraid of the fight."
"If I say I'm afraid will will you do what I told you to?"
"No, I'm staying here at the fountain. You can go hide in the corner if you want; my place is with my men."
"They're my men, and your safety is my problem. Get off that fountain before I drag you off."

"Captain, look out!"

Daniel ducked to the side as a Ga-Vok arrow whipped through the air beside him.
"Men! Defend yourselves!"
Projectiles of a dozen varieties buzzed through the air to meet their targets. Te Ga-Vok warriors had the advantage of numbers and momentum. They hurtled over the crude barricade on the south side of the market, tearing through the defenders there.
The rest of Daniel's men rushed to counter the charge. They may not have been so uniformly equipped as the warriors, but they were more skilled. The charge halted the Ga-Vok just inside the barricade, slowing them as they were now forced to pull themselves over it. Kiera had lept into the fray. Her skill with the sword inspiring the men about her to force the Ga-Vok back.

Daniel was not as foolhardy. He rallide the men still in the market and brought them around to the east. Moving archers and swords alike into the buildings lining the street, he prepared to drive into them as the superior numbers of the Ga-Vok began forcing Kiera's men stumbling back over the barricade.
"Now men, open fire!"
Darts and quarrels bit into the exposed flank of the Ga-Vok charge. Daniel lept from the roof onto the enemy forces, his men close behind him. The flashing of his blade in the spring sun was quickly dulled by the blood of their warriors.

Even this was not enough. They began forcing his men back into the town, many of them were pinned to the walls of the shops lining the street by the katar's of the Ga-Vok. Kiera's forces were holding them at the barricade, but Daniel was in dire straits.

As he parried furiously, back peddaling under the weight of his attacker, he heard a fammiliar voice.
"Mind if I cut in?"
"Hello Enge. Next time, aim higher or lower. My mouth was open and you got all kinds of furry gore in it."
"Sorry Captain, It won't happen again."
"What kept you?"
"It was a big camp sir."
"You could have run faster."
"Sorry sir, I was holding him back."

Daniel looked down at the blood-smattered little girl.
"Enge, wasn't she supposed to be in our camp?"
"Yes sir, but she made a very convincing arguement."
"Which was?"
"We could move faster if the loot could be placed directly into the trucks."
"Kid, you may understand why we do what we do, but if I ever find you disobeying my orders again."
"No need sir, we already agreed on punishment."
"That's my job Enge."
"I know, that's why I gave her the punishment you would."
"I was only going to threaten her. For cripes sake Enge, she's not even twelve."
"Wait. You thought I would actually? I'm offended captain, you know perfectly well I would never do that."
"You sure had better not; you know I don't tolerate that in my men."
"All I did was threaten her. It's what you were going to do so I just went ahead and took care of it for you."
"Well that really takes the steam out of it," he turned to Tressa, "Kid, you disobey me again and your ass is mine."
Tressa ignored him, a small blueish glow began emenating from her palm.
"Sure it is. Now can we just get back to the fight?"
They moved back into the street to see that Enge's men, along with the guards who had been left under Tressa's command, were engaging the remaining Ga-Vok all across the street. Enge charged to the nearest one parrying with his first knife, sliding himself to its side, and gutting it wwith his other knife. Daniel rolled a second warrior over him and finished it with a quick stab.
Tressa walked calmly to the middle of the street; her sword still in it's scabbard. She sidestepped her adversary and struck him with her outstretched palm. He staggered and collapsed, weezing in pain. She drew her sword, stepped over him, and placed it's blade at his throat.
"Stiehl edewu unave Vokda"
The sword melted in her hand, molding itself to the warrior's throat.
"Vokda. Atlai mi feinde"
The warrior rose and impaled a nearby Ga-Vok on his katar. Then pounced a second hapless warrior and began tearing at it with his fangs.
"Captain."
"It's alright to scream Enge."
"Remind me to never get on her bad side."
Kiera's men reached their position. The remaining Ga-Vok were attempting to flee over the hill. The rest of Enge and Tressa's men made short wok of them.
"Tressa, what is wrong with that thing mext to you?"
"Oh, sorry Miss Kiera. Vokda!"
The Ga-Vok warrior rose to attention,
"Zikat!"
and collapsed lifeless beside her.

"Settles that issue nicely. Kiddo, I take back what I said earlier. My ass is yours whenever you need it."
"Mr. Enge, your ass was already mine whenever I wanted it."
Enge laughed nervously.

"Captain"
"Yes princess?"
"Tell your men to search for survivors."
"You heard her men; if there are survivors bring them up to the mansion."

No comments:

Post a Comment