Thursday, December 10, 2009

Chapter Thirty-Two

Count Marche was taking his nightly stroll. He'd invested in a nice estate for a reason, It would have been wasteful to just horde his money and leave it to children who didn't know where it came from. Far better that they be required to make their own money, and inherit a nice home that could be passed on to their children.

"Hello Aelan."
"Gar! What are you doing here? Last time I saw you was the trial."
"His majesty was merciful as well as just. I hope that one day his son will be as good a ruler as he was."
"So you were the lucky one who aquired his majesties goodwill? And how is..."
Gar grasped his right foreamr tightly.
"By the light, Whatever I did to anger you I deny any knowledge."
"Why would you? Just because I was an assasain doesn't mean I'm here to kill someone."
"Sorry Gar, It's just. Well, the guild contributed rather heavily to the palace's construction and I thought your son might have wanted that debt settled."
"I'm not with the guild anymore Aelan. I should have left long ago."
He glanced out across the courtyard.
"I wish I'd left long ago. I neglected my family for a chance at adventure and some easy money. She was right to stop me."
"Easy friend, If she still loves you she'll forgive you."
"It's to late for that."
"I'm sorry Gar."
"You know; I'll admit it. You were right to assume I was here to kill someone. Call out the witches."
"At this time of night? You couldn't even tell half of them are witches, most of them are surprisingly young. That whole 'decrepit' thing is just an act."
"This one won't be."
"Gar Stone, I'll not have you murdering people in the middle of my castle."
"Aelan Marche, My wife's memory demands justice for murder. Will you stand between us?"
"I'll call the witches."

No comments:

Post a Comment