Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Chapter Four, 'lessons'

Eleven years later.




"How was the hunt child?"
"The others are envious of my hunt father. I caught two stag."
"Excellent, are you ready for your lessons?"
"Yes father, and I considered what you said about power. I think I can answer the question now."
"Go ahead."
"Strength in the context of our society can be defined as the ability to defeat you enemies in single combat. Power is simply the ability to defeat your adversaries, whether in the context of battle, politics, or even socially."
"And what is the critical difference between the two?"

She pondered the question for a while.
"I think the difference is experienced. Even if you are strong you can be outmaneuvered by a better trained or experienced opponent. And what is training but the passing down of experience?"
"Well answered child. Can you remember the hierarchy of the Nieldic Empire?"
"Propaganda or practical?"

Aurou laughed, he was glad to have accepted the council's ruling. Not only had the spirits blessed him with such a noble and fateful task, but they had also blessed him with a dutiful and studious daughter. Still, he knew it would not be long now. He was the foremost scholar of his people when it came to the Nielda, and he knew that Alicea would be turning sixteen. Her mind would turn to more worldly matters, ones that would lead her back to her own people.

"Propaganda, though few truly believe them it is expected of the lower class to answer with it if asked by an official of their emperor."
"The Emperor works continuously towards the best interests of his people, and the nobles are the agents of his majesty to his people."
"And practical?"
"The Emperor, like our Alpha, is supreme. His laws are absolute and punishments are dealt based on the power of the one convicted, The severity of the punishment is inverse to the felon's power, a noble can commit many crimes without suffering so long as they do not become habit. The people are expected to be, above all else, loyal to their emperor and respectful towards his officers."
"Not unlike our Alpha."
"The Alpha is supreme"
"His decrees are just and true, no one dares defy them."
"Really father?"
"You doubt his authority?"
"No, as I said 'the Alpha is supreme'. I simply know better than to believe no one denies them."
"Have you witnessed a crime and remained silent child? If so you can share it with your father. I will not hold it against you."
"I am a crime father. I know his decree concerning the firebloods."
"Such a harsh term towards your own people."
"Did they raise me? Did they show me to enchant my axes or to wield them in battle? When I return from the hunt do they rejoice for my fortune? These are my people as you are my father."
"Child, You have the heart of a Ga-Vok. I fear that the Nieldic Blood within you shall one day devour it and you shall be left broken, with only you mind to guide you. That is a sad and unfullfilling life to lead."
"Father, have I ever been one to back down from such a challenge?"
"No, your heart and body may be divided but your spirit is yours alone. Cherish it, for it is the light's blessing upon you."

"So, what's today's lesson?"
"What would you like to learn?"
"The other warriors were talking about finding hot wenches, I was hoping you might have a recipe."
Aurou was stunned for several minutes, As clever a child as she was he often forgot that Nielda matured mentally far faster than they did physically. Thankful for it at times, he was never-the-less surprised at how often such things would manage to go completely over her head.
"Maybe after your birthday. The birds and the bees are not a topic for one as young of body as yourself."
"Oh. It's one of those things. I'm sorry to have brought it up, I know how delicate a topic it is for you."
"Perhaps in another time when wisdom rather than strength was revered I would have been considered quite the catch. In these days an old wolf like me would have gone lonely to the grave had you not been left in my care. The spirit of the light has been most kind to this shaman."

Alicea was already in the kitchen. She knew that when Aurou started getting touchy-feely over this sort of thing he inevitably got hungry also. So she just made it a habit to start dinner whenever it came up. She knew that he took no greater pleasure than that he took in a good meal with his daughter, save perhaps a good meal by his daughter. The Ga-Vok may have been proud warriors but the dog-like loyalty and affection they possessed had never faltered through the years.

Nothing saddened her more than the thought of one day leaving him alone here.

No comments:

Post a Comment