Thursday, September 16, 2010

Chapter Twenty

"So?"
"I don't know."
"What?"
"My orders are to see to it that the prisoners are loaded onto the rockets without any interruptions.  But not all of the prisoners received due process, some of them don't deserve a death sentence.  And even those that do deserve it, or that received due process and were convicted in a proper trial, should not be subjected to a cruel death."
"I don't think that's a legal right sir."
"I know, but have any of these prisoners done anything that merits being tied to a rocket and launched into upper space?"
"Well, one of them killed a magistrate, three landed nobles, and the prince before they caught her.  That's not even counting all the guards she killed in the process."
"I know what she did, I testified at the second trial."
"I'm just saying, she killed a lot of people Captain.  If there's anyone in here who actually does deserve the sentence, it would be her."

He looked at the files.  Jor was right.  Most of these people had committed sedition, maybe assaulted a noble, a few of them had been taken in on conspiracy to commit treason.  Only Jeanine had actually done anything that merited a death sentence, and she'd merited several.  But he couldn't let her die, not like this certainly. 
"Jor, if you were trying to get into the base, how would you do it?"
"Dunno, I assume that there are death traps in the air vents.  Probably the front door, provided the strongest looking guards are there."
"So, if the best guards are at the front gate we should be impenetrable?"
"What are you getting at?"
"Put the meatheads at the front gate, take the best platoon and post them just inside the gate.  Everyone else on normal patrols; bring the prisoners directly to me."
"Sir, I'm not going to ask what you have planned.  But only because when this blows up in your face I want plausible deniability."
"Don't worry, I've planned for that."

No comments:

Post a Comment