Monday, September 20, 2010

Chapter Twenty-Three

Ted was actually very smart. He may have had only minimal self-awareness, but clearly he understood everything there was to know about power supplies, cords, and advanced physics.  The Golem explained that the difficulty with the power supply was that it was non-magical.  A magical power supply could produce easily enough energy by using transmutation to convert a light weight substance, like a sponge or air, directly into energy.  However, there was no way to hook this power cord into a matter transmuter without causing potentially irreparable damage to the cable. 
Not without better funding anyways. 

Hamaf just blinked for several minutes.  He was a pretty good soldier, but this sort of thing was completely beyond him.  All he understood was that they'd need more money to make it work, because there was no plug for it. 

"I am sorry.  But the device will not work without a transmagical conversion element."
"An adapter?"
"In essence, yes."
"And when we get the adapter, what will it do?"
"Nothing."
"Nothing?"
"Correct.  The device does not emit a trans-dimensional field strong enough to move the entire planet.  It will need to be fitted into a smaller area, a large truck perhaps, or a small fortress in the void." 
"A ship."
"A large boat?"
"Like a fortress that moves in the upper space, it's where we found the device."
"That would explain the integrators and the field extension projectors.  How large was this ship?"
"It crushed a city on impact."
"Ah, very large.  The device will need a strong power supply.  Much space will be needed for fuel materials; there is no where large enough for such a craft to be built here."
"Wouldn't a smaller craft need less fuel to be moved?"
"To move yes, but the field would be difficult to adjust.  And space will be needed for food, equipment, and people.  A larger ship would be more efficient, as it would carry more primary purpose than a smaller one, while costing relatively little in additional fuel requirements."
"But where would we build it?"
"I do not know, but it will require much space."
"Ted, it's been very informative speaking with you.  I'm afraid I have to go back up now, but I shall see to it that a plumber is sent posthaste."
"I am relieved to be cared for properly.  Master Grath has paid little mind to my well-being."
"I'll see what I can do about that too."

He managed to find the door in the dark and proceeded back up to the main lab. 
"Look here you paddy scum; no peasant is going to marry my niece if I have anything to say about it."
"Sir, who Polly wishes to marry is none of your business.  We've both made up our minds and I'll not be dissuaded by a fat, pimply little runt."
"PIMPLY!  How dare you insult a member of the nobility, I'll have your bars for this Lieutenant Store."
"His name is Jor, and the only one with the authority to demote my second in command is me."
"Then I'll go to the emperor himself and have him imprisoned."
"I'd like to see you.."
"Jor, that's enough.  Return to your quarters."
"Yes sir."
Jor turned on his heel and left in a proper, obedient fashion.  His anger was palatable, and justified. 

"Captain, if this man is your second in command I'd hate to run into the rest of your men."
"And well you should, my last second in command would have killed you on the spot and bragged about it over lunch.  Mister Grath, I've spoken with your Golem.  I believe I understand the problem and you can expect the necessary parts to arrive within a month."
"Kill me on the spot?"
"I believe we're done here."
"Oh, not even close captain, not even close."
He turned sharply and followed his second in command back up into the base.  As he climbed the long stair back to his own quarters he found himself wondering if Jeanine was still in contact with any of her friends.  Pimply little rats like that were making him think that she wasn't as wrong as he'd always believed her to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment