Thursday, September 23, 2010

Chapter Twenty-Five

He'd adjusted the execution schedules.  Jeanine had been shifted into what amounted to a permanent legal limbo, where the paperwork to have her actually executed was found, but could never actually be filed without a half dozen additional, and in one case non-existent, forms.  By all rights, she should have been first on the block.  With her situation a bureaucratic rubber band ball though, he'd shifted a few of the truly uncouth into the front spots.  Watching their gruesome fates had reinforced in his mind what needed to be done.  But when?

"Hamaf!  Polly's being given to one of the sons of Lord Crelling.  Her father must have heard about the two of us, what am I supposed to do?"
"What!"
"She just sent me a letter telling me about it.  I don't know how she got it through, but she sounds angry.  Sir, I have to go to her."
"I can't allow that.  No personnel off base for any reason."
"Then I resign.  Sir she's more important to me than anything.  I can't just sit here and lose her."
"Denied.  You will sit here, and you will not lose her.  I'll take care of it, and you will not ask how."
"Understood sir.  Thank you sir."
He hesitated before leaving.  He clearly wanted to ask.  He wanted some reassurance that he'd actually be able to do anything about this travesty.  After all, it's not like Jor had any proof that he could affect the affairs of the nobility in the first place, much less end an engagement. 

He didn't know himself.  However, he did know someone who could see to it that any issue of nobles, ceased.

No comments:

Post a Comment