Saturday, September 18, 2010

Chapter Twenty-Two

"This is the device?"
"I know, marvelous isn't it?"
It was a grey metal slab with wires coming out of it.  The wires went to a collection of control panels that were scattered around the room, save for a few which dangled conspicuously. 
"I'm told you worked with the linguists while you were on board the ship Chore."
"It's Jor.  Yes, I spent quite a bit of time dealing with the various teams that were on board.  Where were the markings you'd wanted me to have a look at?"
"All of the control panels.  If you could just label them I think I could handle it from there." 
"Alright, do you have any paper?"
"Right over here, I hope you brought your own pen though."

Hamaf left the two of them to their business.  He was more interested in figuring out why the largest cord wasn't hooked up.  He'd dealt with a few 'broken' appliances in his day and this seemed to be exactly that sort of situation.  Ego ridden man like Grath was probably to caught up in the controls to think of something as basic as plugging it in. 
He followed the cord down the hall.  It was black, and stood out fairly well against the light grey concrete and artificial light.  It wound down one hall after another, going deeper into the base and further under the earth.  After nearly an hour tracking it, he found the end.  It was sitting on a small table, surrounded by small tools and instruments.  The light was worse here, only a dull glow from a monitor on a desk to the right.  This small lab smelled like coffee, and the ground was somewhat damp. 
"Hello?  Are you the plumber, I only called five minutes ago?"
"No, I'm with the army.  Is there a light in here?"
"Probably, but I haven't found it yet."
"Who are you?"
"I'm the research menial.  I deal with all the details Grath can't be bothered with, like plugging things in, pulling the lever, and flipping the switch."
"OK, what's your name?"
"Name?"
"You don't know your own name?"
"My own name?"
"Yes, who else am I talking to?"
"I'm the research menial.  I deal with all the details Grath can't be bothered with, like plugging things in, pulling the lever, and flipping the switch."
"You've said that already.  And you still haven't answered my question."
"I am sorry.  I can not answer your question."
"You don't know your name?"
"I do not think I have a name."
"What kind of parents don't name their child?"
"I do not think I have a parents."
"What?"
"I am sorry.  I should not bother you.  I will continue my work."
"No you shouldn't.  You should go get some sleep, or see a therapist.  Probably both."
"How do I sleep?"

Golem.  Hamren had fought one once when its master lost his mind and started killing things.  They had all the skills of their maker, but with none of the personality apparently.  Soulless, dedicated to a fault, and tireless a Golem would need nothing to keep working endlessly.  Didn't quite explain the smell of coffee, but no matter what it was made of the water would certainly be a nuisance.  He could probably beat it with the lights on, if he had to, but it seemed like this golem was fairly independent.  Odds were Grath had inherited it, or had it made for him by a talented necromancer. 

"Well, from now on you shall be known as Ted.  I'm Captain Hamaf, and I was hoping you knew something about this cord."
Silence, save for dripping water and the sound of a a pen writing.
"My name is now Ted, and I know something about this cord, Captain."

No comments:

Post a Comment