Sunday, February 7, 2010

Chapter Seven

"Admit it Petra, you play more than 'when you have nothing better to do'."
"No, I just don't know of anything better to do. Do you?"
"Dad believed in interacting with other kids my age; so I had school. Then when I was older, I was expected to help out around the house. I kept busy then, I'm actually at somewhat of a loss for what to do now that their's a maid service in the dorms and classes only last till lunch."
"I just got an offer to captain a new TacSim team. I know you don't have a lot of experience, but I'd like you to join. I could show you the ropes."

Apparently Chesi had more pull around here than she seemed to. Otan seemed pretty respectful towards her, Odd seeing as the Rhinsladers and the Ga-Vok had never really gotten along. Maybe it was a more personal respect than she'd thought. In any case, she had made arrangements for the two of them to share a room.

"Petra, I ought to be honest with you. I'm nobility; my father is.."
"King Pinn of Rhinsla, Only four men have ever lasted over an hour against the princess in TacSim."
"How would you know that?"
"I don't know of anything better to do."
"Your highness." Chesi curtseyed.
"You have no idea how much I miss that."
"I wouldn't know. Dad insisted that only his heir should be shown that honor."

Petra offered a half-bow. She'd never actually bothered learning how to do it properly. With the exception of her mother, there was no one who actually expected her to offer that sort of expression of respect. And those who did, knew her well-enough to know she wouldn't bow even then.

Chesi sighed. "If you expect to pass yourself off as a commoner then I supose I ought to show you how to bow properly. Or curtsey even, a dress really is more befitting of persons of our standing."
"How often would I need that? I'm the princess."
"You don't watch your mother when she does diplomacy do you?"
"My mother does her best diplomacy with her pistol."
"You have to learn to show respect to others. Treat them like equals and they'll pay attention to you as an equal. There's more to being Empress than being born into it."
"Sure there is, there's also telling people what to do."
"You're hopeless, you know that?"

"You know I just had one question really."
"And what is that?"
"What did Otan call you in class? He seemed awfuly respectful for a teacher to a new student."
"Aounat'Bato? It's Ga-Vok, it means wise chieftan."
"And what did you do to earn that?"
"My brother is the powerful one; we all know that he'll be the king of Rhinsla when our father dies. My uncle is the lord of Arden. Apparently a long time ago one of the lords of Arden provided judgement in the succesion of one of their Alphas. The title is used by them for all the lords of Arden because of it."
"That doesn't explain why he would refer to you by it."
"I'm considered the kind, wise member of the family. I'm not as powerful so I couldn't be the queen, but my uncle says that Arden is the real prize. Anyone who really matters knows how the succesion works, the smart ones know that the Lord of Arden should be listened to over the King of Rhinsla. I'm to be the Lady of Arden when my uncle dies."
"Oh. If it makes any difference, your father is pretty smart for being the second wisest member of his family."
"He's a commander. His wisdom comes from experience, but that same experience has made him hard and merciless. His judgement is clouded when it comes to morality. But my uncle is a good influence, they're twins you know. They've always been very close."
"Good to know I have smart friends."

No comments:

Post a Comment