Saturday, February 20, 2010

Author's note, behind the scenes between chapters fouteen and fifteen

Dante told me this one too. Apparently he was there for most of the critical points in Petra's life. HE really does a lot of thinking ahead. It would really get the Shaditha's goat to know how much they play into his plans.

I told you before I didn't want to brag about what I did to stop Califrax earlier in her life. Partly that's because I've never taken much pride it my ability to kick snot out of things; partly it's because there's really nothing interesting about fighting a demon when you already know the outcome. I knew how it would turn out; so all the thrill of the fight was gone.

When I arrived I already knew it was neither a Near Death nor an actual death. The first clue was the bouncy little rabbit soul. Now I understand how Alid couldn't have known just how obnoxious those things are; but if you have to make a sacrifice it should always be on a non-panicky animal. Had there not already been demons involved, they would have ignored it as a bunch of dumb kids trying to screw with higher powers. That's if they'd even noticed at all.

Califrax was in the stadium. He was in the bleachers.
On the floor, with Vlad was another demon; Azriak. The two were debating what they should do. Since they were there representing their own targets they were unable to reach an agreement on how to react.

Califrax hoped that by sending a shade, and thus revealing Vlad he could embitter Petra, make her distrustful of others and more vulnerable to his whispers apart from the influence of her friends.
Azriak had made a pact with Vlad and knew that he could accomplish great individual terror through the curse he'd left on him. He wanted to simply destroy them.

I knew how things needed to turn out and; though it's hardly a good act, I intervened. I showed my self and offered them a third choice.
"Azriak, your curse would linger on the human with or without your presence. Califrax, Petra would not be embittered against her friends by betrayal. Instead, have Azriak appear. Vlad will remain concealed, and by allowing Vlad to defeat him he will make her jealous of his perceived power. She won't rest until she can repeat the feat; and that will be the means of your corruption."

You have every right to be angry. It may have been necessary but that doesn't mean it didn't cause pain. Just understand that had I not done what I did, things would be far worse than they were.

Compared to what Petra did; that was downright saintly of him. Didn't stop me from kicking him out of my living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment