Saturday, February 13, 2010

Chapter Eleven

Victories came quickly. Petra and her team soon had a team rating equal to that of most third year teams. In only six months they were known across the school as one of the most formidable forces in the game.

Lessons continued for that time with no consequence. The first break was nearing, and Petra was looking forward to having a more challenging fight with some of the generals and nobles. Vlad was going home also; although he still wouldn't say where that was. Alid was taking a job over the holidays, his family wasn't nobility and even with the government subsidies tuition wasn't cheap. Everyone else was nobility, even if most were of low rank; they would winter with family.

Chesi promised to visit. It wasn't an idle promise, she rarely made them. Her father spent most of his time at court, so it would be a simple matter for her to tag along.

"Good morning Mom. Glad to see you could make it."
"I always have time for my daughter."
"Shall we go then?"
"Actually, there's a student here I need to talk to. It's a matter of national significance. You wouldn't happen to know an Alid, would you?"
"He's on my team actually, one of my liuetenants. He said he had a job over the holidays."
"That's what I need to talk to him about."
"He's working for you?"

An elderly man appeared behind and slightly to the empress's left. He wore a brown cloak, with a silver fringe and walked with an iron cane. His hair was bleached by time, and wrinkles spread across his visage. Yet for his age he was clearly still strong, and age had added to his strength wisdom.
"Captain Spielgan, a pleasure to see you again."
"Your highness, you have met your future voaldasten?"
"What?"
"Your bodyguard sweetheart. Aelfred was mine before I became empress; if you become empress, than young Alid would be your captain."
"Really? I always wondered how that worked."
"The guardianship relies on trust. A friendship and mutual reliance must be established early so that the captain's loyalty can be personal rather than by buisness alone."
"That sounds like a spouse to me."
"It has happened before. Most guards have enough respect for their wards to keep their relationship within suitable boundaries."

"Alid! When did you plan to tell me you were a guard?"
"When did you plan to tell me you were a member of the imperial family?"
"Point taken. Alright Captain, but you owe me a good round for this."
"And you owe me a rematch for that dam trick you pulled last time."
"Which I owed you for the sprite trap you used."
"Aelfred, did you pull a Lady Jessrel on my daughter?"
"It's completly legal Tania, as Lady Jessrel proved."
"Tsk tsk captain, that's a harsh play to make against one with so little education in the matter."
"I doubt I'd be able to play it again, Eh kid?"
"Yea, falling for it twice would embarassing. How is Jessrel?"
"Loopy. She hasn't recovered from that bout with the warlock last year."
"Shame, she had that Gascan innovative spirit."

A sort of collective sigh went up as the palace dwelers remembered past games and encounters.

"Oh and mother, Chesi Rhinslagan, Pinn's daughter, will be visiting over the holidays."
"Then you've met the future lady of Arden? We've never actually met, what's she like?"
"Self-conscious but cheerful; she works hard, thinks deep, and has a stout hammer when you need it."
"Switch for a claymore and she'd be her father."
"Not nearly as good a commander though. You usually comand her Alid, what would you say?"
"She'd make a great guard if she wasn't nobility. She's not a leader, but she's motivated, loyal, and capable."
"Shame, I hear her brother's pretty good though."
"Your majesty, I have met Prince Fiesul. He is the man his father thought he was a hundred and twenty years ago. A paladin if I've ever met one."
"Aelfred, you have met several."
"Most of them were Rhinsladers, I think it's the spirit of Pinn's father caried on in his people."

"Alright, I'm bored now. Guards, ready the ship."
"Don't be rude Petra; we were having a lovely conversation."
"The little devil's right. You have a confrence with Lord Nost over the proposed fermented beverage regulation on the Ninth, and then Lady Jessrel insisted on speaking to you concerning the succession. Lord Sod, I mean Jod, wants to make the case for assigning the munitions contract to Anatolia. And my wife informs me that she has to talk to you urgently about a water supply issue resolved about fifteen years ago; can't imagine why it's urgent but she was very insistent. We really must be going your Majesty."
"This, Petra, is what you can look forward to from a bodyguard. Aren't you glad live in times where a bodyguard's job description doesn't even include actually guarding you?"
"Tania, I guard you from the only enemy you've ever let beat you; poor time management."
"Don't grow old Petra, it takes forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment