Monday, February 22, 2010

Author's note; chapter sixteen arena floor

Hearing this story put a different perspective on things. Vlad has been an invaluable resource for the events of those years.

Alid hopped down into the arena and walked up to Vlad.
"Congratulations, you just survived an attack by a demon. How do you feel now?"
"Like I just got beat up by a demon."
"Have a swiftmend; I picked a couple up before hand in case this happened."
"Thanks."
Vlad downed the potion and returned the guard an empty vial.

"That was a truth potion. Are you now, or have you ever been in a pact with a demon?"
Vlad kicked himself mentally. No way he should have fallen for that so easily.
"Yes, that one. I begged for my life when raiders came to our town. He offered me immortality, and power befitting it. It has been a curse."
"Course it has, he is a demon after all. What exactly is the nature of this curse?"
"I must drink blood to remain powerful, vithout it I am no more than my age vould allow."
"Thus the girlfriends; the curse is passed on of course."
"By the bite; vhen they die they become as I am. It is a horrible fate; but if I do not pass it on I am less than human."
"Does it affect Nielda?"
"No, your blood abhors all manner of curses and creatures. It vould no sooner harbor my curse than it vould any other sort of undeath. I can only nurse my strength on the races vhere there is disease."
"Very well then. Can I have my sword back?"
"Are you going to kill me?"

Alid stared at him for a while before reaching over and taking his sword out of Vlad's hands. It was tempting; and would likely solve problems for many down the road. He sheathed his sword after a elongated pause and stepped up to Vlad.
Then patted him firmly on the shoulder.
"No. If you are no threat to Nielda, and you pledge not to endanger my mistress, than to kill you would be murder. I am a guard; my people are not endangered by you and so you need not be endangered by me. See to it that it remains that way."
"Thank you. Vill you keep it a secret?"
"Of course, you only threaten humans; and they are not my ward."

The two looked up to the bleachers and saw Petra turning to leave.
"She'll hate you for this."
"For living?"
"For winning. It hurts her pride to think someone else might be stronger than her. It would have been smarter on my part to simply apply the truth potion, but then Chesi would have killed you in half a thought. She has good instincts; she knows the demon threw the fight, she knows you are entered into a pact, and she even knows your ex's share your condition. I think she knows more about it from them than from watching you."
"She is a dangerous sort of girl. I vonder if she vould be open to hearing my side of things; perhaps over a starlit dinner and a good vine."
"She'd kill you for asking. Try not to draw attention to yourself for a while; I'll try to keep Petra to do anything stupid while her ego recovers."
"Thank you my friend. I hope that everything goes vell vith your mistress."

No comments:

Post a Comment