Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chapter Twenty, 'The Last Sprite'

Alicea hadn't been alone for a long time. The beast hated being alone, she could feel its restless stirring.

The lake was dark, the wind fierce, and the forest itself was more ragged and crooked than it had ever been even when the shrines had been abandoned. She could see why Nond was so determined to restore the balance. It also gave her an appreciation for what Aurou had been doing, trying to restore the local Nix. She would write him with the shrine's location once this was over and done.

For now there was another sprite who needed her.

"Vel. I came back. We need you. Please come out."
She called for an hour, maybe more, but the nymph was no where to be found.

"The warlock knew someone would come for the little phantom."
A warrior stepped down from the ruins of Cavel's shrine. He was armed with an axe like hers but double edged, and a shield. His chest was bare and he wore no helm; his only armor was a pair of leather britches.

"I've been waiting for you, you cursed little runt."
"No one outside the clan knew of me, but I've never seen you before. Who are you, and why did you betray our clan?"

Alicea could see the intent of his heart. She readied her axes as the warriors of the howling axe clan began to circle.

"My name is Ogini, son of Haown. You killed my father the night you were brought to our camp. As his son I claim his right; your blood is mine to spill."
"But we were exiles. How did you come under the Alpha's service?"
"The shaman banished me when I sought to claim my right. The Alpha's men showed me the path to justice, and in their service the Alpha granted me clemency. I told him everything, and he saw in his wisdom that I could serve his plan best by seeking my own ends."
"And the warlock? What of Kron?"

Ogini chuckled. The rays of the setting sun gleamed on his shield and she could see the Alpha's mark upon it. The black wolfshead had been crudely superimposed over the white howling one of their clan.

"A loyal servant of His Supremacy the Alpha. He to has been granted clemency to further the grand end. Even now he leads the clans against the fireblood's so-called 'monastery'. A hundred of His Supremacy's finest stand at the forefront. Gasca will belong to the Ga-Vok. But not before I claim what is due me."

No comments:

Post a Comment