Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Assassin's Tale; Unrest

Credits; Krell, Rea, Arcania,

Krell and Rea returned to the living room after sleeping in.  The floor had been a bit uncomfortable, but not nearly as much as the bruises it had taken to prevent her from having to sleep on it. 
"Hello there lovebirds."
They both turned towards the dining room and saw a familiar white haired woman sitting behind a salad. 
"Arcania."
"Good,"  She conjured a gold pocket watch and clicked it open.  "Afternoon apparently, not that it surprises me with all the noise you were making.  Glad to see that you've finally gotten your flesh back Krell, it looks good on you."
"That wasn't what you think it was."
"Nothing to be embarassed about, doesn't surprise me at all that Rea would be like it rough.  She is kind of a violent person after all."
Rea clenched her fists and Krell could feel himself start to turn beet red. 
"We weren't..It wasn't anything like that."
"Sure it wasn't."  Arcania winked and forked at her salad.  He noticed ZeeGee was watching them intently, taking the form of a fox this time.  It was much better than his last form, but then again the tone was different too, this time they weren't trying to kill the Empress of Danielland. 
"We were fighting over the bed."
"Oh."  Arcania took a bite and motioned with her fork for them to continue. 
"There's only the one bed in the room, so we had to decide who would sleep in it."  More fork waving.  "And since we couldn't agree on it, Rea decided to fight me over it."
"Well, I'd say by the way your crooking your neck that she won."
"No, he did."
Arcania's fork clattered as it bounced off of her plate and fell to the floor.  ZeeGee picked it up in his mouth and passed it back up to her. 
"I don't believe that for a second.  Is the bed really that uncomfortable?"
"No, we were fighting to decide which of us would sleep on the bed.  Both of us wanted the other one to have the bed."
"That's just adorable, but you both have to realize that Rea only slept on the floor because she threw the fight, right?"
"I didn't throw anything!"  Rea yelled. 
"Then why did you lose?"
Neither of them replied.  Arcania grinned and she took another stab at her plate.  She took a bite and chewed it without taking her gaze off of them.  It was disconcerting, but neither of them wanted to talk about it.  Arcania finished her meal in silence, neither Krell nor Rea speaking or moving the whole time. 
"Well, since you inisist you didn't do anything; I'll just fill in the blanks myself.  Now, what is it you wanted to talk to me about?"
"Legion is making his move."
Arcania didn't flinch.  Krell saw her grin flicker for a moment but she managed to keep grinning as she replied.  "And?  Petra has been preparing for this her whole life.  It'll be better for all of us if we just stand back and let her do her business."
"She'll die if we don't help."
"As I said, she's been preparing for this her whole life.  Death's daughter, the girl who never should have been, the angel's blade; her fate was always to fight hell and fall before it.  I'm not about to go and throw myself into the middle of a fight like that."
Rea broke the stair and looked up at Krell.  He could see that her anger wasn't like her usual fury, it was something more like dissapointment. 
"Coward."
"What else can a woman who can't kill be?  I can't fight demons, I can't fight fate; I've tried, look at what happened."
"At least the old Arcania tried.  Now you're too scared to stick your neck out of your own little world and help people."
"I can't kill, I can't order anyone to kill, I can barely get away with plotting people's deaths.  How in the world am I supposed to help by going out and fighting?"
"Then don't fight people.  You can still fight demons, and now you actually know how.  Ecthon was an A-Tier demon, even Petra doesn't start fights with them.  You had no idea what you were getting into, but you had the gall to try anyways and you very nearly won.  With everything you know and are now you would win if you had to fight him again."
"And if I lose then I die." 
"You also die if you don't fight, so suck it up." 
"What do you have against trying to be normal?"
"Arcania, we aren't normal.  Trying to be what you aren't is a lie.  I'm a witch, an assassin, and the second most powerful natural force in the universe after gravity.  And I live it."
"You're also a vain child.  And you certainly live that."
Krell caught Rea's hand as she pulled back to swing at Arcania.  She was certainly trying very hard to hit the pale sorceress, but Krell wasn't going to let this devolve into another fight. 
"Rea, nobody wins if we fight each other.  Settle down, go have Nao make you a sandwich or something."  He let go of her and turned to Arcania.  "The choice is pretty clear to me.  Either you help Rea to help Petra, in battle, or Rea's gonna want to come back and kill you.  I won't let her do that, not out of any feeling for you, but because Rea needs to simmer down and stop killing people willy nilly.  If you want to keep living in your sister's home, trying to make ammends for your mother's death, then neither Rea nor I will stop you.  But I think I know enough about your mother to know what your mother would do in these circumstances, and I think she'd expect the same of you."
Krell hoped the words would sting enough to propel her back into the fight.  He didn't expect much though, Rea was right about her.  It was fine for history to have forgotten Rea, she'd actively written herself out of it.  Petra was still in, and hell itself was covering her tracks.  But for a woman who had nearly wiped out all life to simply drop off the radar without so much as a faked execution and then wander from one library to the next hitting every archeological site along the way to vanish was just frustrating.  People would never forgive her, that war had changed too much, and destroyed so much more, for anyone but humanity to forget.  She would never just ride it out, if she wanted to be forgiven she'd need to do something equally good to override it, or at the least do an awful lot of pretty major good things. 
Rea was in the living room stirring a chocolate milkshake a lot faster than was strictly neccesary.  As if her frustration wasn't already quite apparent he could see her knuckles had turned white around the spoon.  He sat down at the counter next to her and watched her quietly for a moment.
"She's not going to help."
"Gah!"  Rea fell off her stool, milkshake spilling across the counter as she let go of it.  Krell conjured a hand and some towels to clean up the mess before spinning around and helping her back up.  "What's wrong with you?  Seriously, don't sneak up on me like that."
"I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were that focused on the milkshake."
Rea paused and watched the enchanted towels floating around cleaning the milkshake off the counter.  "Neither did I." 
"You need a moment?  You seem really wound up right now."
"I'm," She stopped and turned towards him.  "No, I do need a moment.  I need a lot of moments.  Killing warlocks and veteran heroes is one thing but this is demons we're dealing with.  Its a lot more than I'm used to dealing with.  If it were anyone but Petra I wouldn't even bother, and the moment this is done with I'm taking a few decades off."
"I'll come with, I'm a few centuries over do on a vacation myself.  Downside of being an undead priest, no rest means no point in a day off."
"Very well then, on Thursday we start a tour of my favorite places in the universe.  How's that sound?"
"Like an eternity away."
Rea slumped in her stool and sighed.  "Yeah, it does."

No comments:

Post a Comment