Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Assassin's Tale; The End of an Era, Part Two

Credits; Krell, Rea, Petra, Courtney, ????,

Krell could hear his own heart beat.  He desperately thought of any spell he could use that would let him save her.  No healing would mend the wound, no medicine could stop the bleeding, there was nothing he could do. 
So he turned towards the demon.  He didn't know its name, but he would make sure it didn't matter. 
"Oh, was she your daughter or something?  So sad."
"Her name is Rea, and she's my partner."
"Not any more."  The demon laughed and Krell lost it.  He stretched out his hand and began to draw the demon's power.  "What?"  The demon began to hurl bolts of energy at him, but they all spattered harmlessly against Krell's now vastly more potent wards.  "How is this.  How can you?"
"He's draining your very life force you dumb clod.  We will not mourn your loss."
"Legion!  Save me!"
"Didn't you hear the nice gentleman, nobody will miss your loss."  Petra yelled from behind Legion.  THe two had circled back once more, destroying yet another wall.  Krell was nearly oblivious to their banter, his mind could think only of Rea, and of this demon he would destroy.  He let out a loud war cry and leapt at his foe, gathering all the demon's unabsorbed power and enhancing a single spell to the strength needed to strike down even the most powerful demon.  He slammed his open palm against its bare chest and called out, "Touch of Ash!"
The nameless demon's eyes grew wide as the spell wracked his body.  Cracks shot through his suddenly gray form, revealing the orange glow of embers buried within his core. 

"Not bad.  Petra, may we pause for a moment?  My bretheren will doubtless take an interest in this one and I think it would be ungracious of me to leave him to face them alone."  To the shock of all, Legion stretched out a hand and a white glow seemed to surround him.  "Rise Tressa Stone, witch of Anatolia."  Everyone stared as Rea's wounds sealed and she started breathing again.  Petra was the first to look away and face Legion. 
"What manner of trickery is this?"
"I assure you, the divine joke is on me.  Did you know the first time we met I was pretending to be her mother?"
"You are a complete..."
"Excuse me, it smells like burnt toast in here."  Nao and Courtney stepped through the open door, Nao blew on the end of pistol and stood behind and slightly to the left of the Countess, who was re-attaching her cloak. 
"Yes dear, that would be the burnt demon.  Sorry we're late everybody, lets finish this."  She caught Nao by the collar as he started to charge the demon.  "Not like that my sweet O Positive; Stormguarde Defensive Protocol, confirm access Courtney Yellsdana."
"System confirms.  Run program?"
"Activate Final Protocol Legion T S."
"Confirm pass phrase?"
"My apologies Petra, I didn't set the pass phrase.  System confirm Pass Phrase; Chastity McMomProblems is in danger."
"System confirms, engaging protocol; please stand clear of the demon."
"What is the meaning of this?"
"Voice recording active; Proceeding."  A hologram flickered into existance.  A short, thin blue haired woman hovering several inches off the ground, with wind clearly blowing through the hair.  "Is this on?  It is?  I knew that.  Anyways." 
"No way."
"Petra, this is my last favor, unless you activate any of my other recordings that accompany a favor, in which case suck it up."  Petra muttered something nasty under her breath.  "You probably said something very mean very quiet.  I don't care, I'm dead.  I'll explain the price of this favor after I take care of this."   The hologram mimed snapping and the a peal of thunder accompanied it.  Krell looked up and saw bolts of lightning course from the nebula around them and wrap around Legion's limbs, pulling him off the ground and imobilizing him completely.  "Bet you didn't see that coming did you, Shades?  And don't bother struggling, I'm running this off of the raw natural forces of creation.  ALL of the raw natural forces of creation.  Even you can't fight that.  Although I dearly wish I could watch you try.  Now, Petra, this is the price of my saving your life.  One, you hang up your sword.  Two, you know that other thing, that thing we all always said you needed to do?  You do it.  And you keep at it until you have a daughter of your own.  Then maybe you'll know why your mother dedicated her life to defending the universe.  Until then, well lets just say I don't feel comfortable entrusting the safety of the universe to someone who has nothing at stake in the matter."
"Can we cut to the part where I stab him?"
"Courtney, she is not to return to Stormguard without a baby in hand, or on her back, or wherever one carries babies, I don't really know.  Rea, since I know you're there, you should hang up your blades too.  I won't make you do anything, but I think some time off would help you get your head on straight.  Krell, take care of her."  The recording paused for a while.  Then it flickered and the pause seemed to repeat.  It did so twice before Courtney finally intervened. 
"Petra, you should stab him now, I don't think it's going to continue until you do."
"I hate that woman."
"She has wonderful hair though, doesn't she?"
"Indeed.  I never thought it would end this way."
"I didn't either.  I'll miss this, you know?"
"Not as much as I'll miss it, I promise you that."
"Tell Mom I said hi."
Petra stabbed Legion's heart.  He didn't scream, or yell, or curse, or even whimper.  In fact, if Krell had to describe it he'd have said it was more of a sob.  Petra probably would have started crying too if it weren't for the lightning bolt that blasted her half-way across the room.  She landed next to him, and her swordhilt landed between them. 
"An insurance policy.  To make sure you go along with it.  And don't bother trying to stop me, I got your mother's approval first.  Good to, say things to you all even though I'm dead and can't hear you.  I bet I miss witty banter whenever this is.  Toodles all."
The hologram vanished and left them all standing beside a fading demon's corpse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment