Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Necromancer's Stone; The Party, part two

Thalia dug a dusty folder out of her closet.  She had several folders, but this one was labeled 'party hotspots'.  She dug it out about twice a year for use, and updated it every other week the rest of the year.  Of course, the same could be said of nearly any of the folders she kept.  Anything important was committed to memory, the rest was filed away in her, well, massive closet.
She opened it up and began browsing the most recent additions.  It looked like nightclubs were in this year, but she couldn't stand the idea of being in a dark room with flashing lights, loud music, and people from school who's darkest secrets she was all to aware of.  Ballrooms were more her style anyways; sometimes large taverns when the mood struck her.  She turned through to find a good ballroom; she kept a section of her favorites towards the back of the file just for times like this.  According to her sources it looked like The Hapsburg had the day before Junsrew open, which would be perfect for her needs.  She returned the folder to its place in the closet and dug out a second folder, 'Party Hotspot owners'.

"You again?  Please don't tell me you're throwing another party already?"
Happock was the owner/operator of The Hapsburg Hotel.  It was one of the only truly classy establishments in town, even if its main function seemed to be housing angry parents, guest speakers, and the more romantically inclined sort of student couples.  As such, it didn't have terribly many rooms, just a few very nice ones.  Happock himself was, oddly enough, a Ga-Vok.  The canine race wasn't exactly known for its business management skills, and certainly not for its tidiness, but Happock always managed to exceed anyone's expectations in both regards.  It would be a shame when he passed, none of his nineteen sons had his talents.  One of his daughters showed a fair bit of skill in both regards, but unfortunately for the Hapsburg had also developed magical skill as well.  Nice girl, Thalia had personally extorted several of her undeserving ex's and they'd built a friendly, if mildly begrudging, relationship as a result.  She would be invited of course.
"Its nearly Junsrew, Hap.  You know I can't stand nightclubs."
The grayed wolf wagged gently.  "I have noticed the trend; I just didn't expect you to come visiting so soon."
"Katie reminded me this time; you wouldn't happen to have mentioned something last time she was in, would you?"
It was hard to tell whether a Ga-Vok was smiling or snarling, but his tail was still wagging so she knew it was positive at least.  "I would never ask that young lady anything of the sort.  Now damage costs on the other hand, those I have definitely had to speak with her about."
It meant that he'd asked her a favor and just picked up the tab himself.  Her business was invaluable and he knew nightclubs were 'In' this year.  Clever old dog, he was learning.  She'd have to make a note of that.
"That certainly sounds like her.  Well, I guess there's no skating about the issue; I'd like to rent the ballroom."
"No threats this time?"
"No one is watching, if I don't need to resort to such means I'd rather not.  Besides, I've got nothing on you.  It'd be a waste of time."
"There's always violence, most of the other evil students just threaten me with that."
"I'm almost hurt that you'd compare me to them.  No, violence is a weak threat; overused and rarely fulfilled.  Mia is doing well by the way."
"I can't thank you enough for taking care of that last one.  Vile little cur smelled like fish vomit and treated her nearly as badly."
"Always a pleasure, although I am curious as to what fish vomit smells like."
"Couldn't make you understand if I tried.  I assume you want the night before Junsrew?"  He'd gotten his ledger out while they were talking and was dabbing a bleached bone pen in an ink well.
"Of course, I'll be handling the catering, set up, entertainment, and the break down.  All I'll need is the ballroom."
"Will breakdown include restroom cleaning?"
"I think I can make it happen, yes."
"Base rate is Four, holiday premium is another One, with the preferred guest discount that'll come to Two point Seven-Five."  He looked up and raised his nose, a sign of respect among his people.  "If I fill my rooms I'll deduct another point Two-Five."
"I'll mend any damages as part of break down."
"One point Seven-Five"
"Are damages really that bad most of the time?"
"No, but you tend to get carried away when you start fixing things and I figure that I'll save enough to make it worth my while."  Now he was definitely smiling, and she had to confess he was right.  Once she started cleaning she found it hard to stop.  And last year she'd basically remodeled his bar while fixing the mirror.  If she really tried, she could get it for free, but she liked Happock and knew that what she paid bought Mia's books next year.
"I'll give you Two point Seven-Five for it.  But you have to promise to tell anyone who asks that I didn't pay and I had you hanging from the chandelier.  I have a reputation to uphold you know."  She winked.  It was a gesture that most Ga-Vok, with their odd, non-symmetric blinking, wouldn't notice at all, but Happock had been doing business with Humans and Nielda for long enough to know what she meant.
"Of course dear girl, you were quite rude and unpleasant to me all day."

No comments:

Post a Comment