Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Necromancer's Stone; Bar Fight

"Hey! What's up girl?"
Thalia glanced over her shoulder and saw a familiar, waving blonde.  She sighed and slid her notes back into her bag.  They'd have to wait for a quieter day, which this one had just ceased to be.
"Hey Katie, nothing much, just working on a project."
"Typical, you're always working on something or other.  You need to liven up, get out a little.  Have some fun!"
"I don't suppose you have any particular sort of fun in mind?"  She smiled.  She didn't legitimately smile often, most of the time she only stage smiled.  It worked well enough for teachers and other people she felt inclined to ingratiate herself with.  For others, like the girl now cheerfully skipping beside her, she felt actual affection and didn't have to force it.
"Weelll, I might have an idea or two.  C'mon, lets go hit the tavern and I'll tell you about it."

Katie's tavern of choice was the Fuzzy Librarian.  It was rather shady, and half the patrons were unshaven, unbathed, and looking for a fight.  The other half were doing their best not to be noticed there, while attempting to hire the first half.  It was located on the bustling edge of town, on a dark street occupied by nearly a dozen similar taverns and inns.
Katie liked the Fuzzy Librarian because they made the best appletini in town.
"So, tell me, what's your plan?"
"Well, I was thinking we could start with a few drinks.  Later I'll tell you about the cave I found out in the mountains.  And then.."  She bumped into a chainmail-clad adventurer and spilled her drink.
"Hey!  Watch where you're going."  He wiped off his armor and then stepped closer.  "Do you know what could happen if it had rusted my armor?  I could have died! That's what!"
"Lay off it you trout lipped buffoon, I'm not one of your impractical city mages.  It'll take more than that old trick to fool me into letting you have your way with me."
"What?  I..I don't know what you're talking about."
"I'm sure you don't.  Unfortunately for you, my friend here does.  Thalia?"
It was one of their favorite games.  Sure it was a tad bit evil what she was about to do, but that's why they worked so well together.  Katie managed to accomplish the good act of removing a criminal from the streets, and Thalia got to start, partake, and end a bar fight.  She slid out of the booth and stood up.  It wasn't often that people actually had the chance to...oh what was she trying to accomplish by lying to herself, she loved the feeling of towering over people.  There were few people she enjoyed intimidating as much as those who were in the process of trying to intimidate.  And this man was perfect for it; burly, selfish, and cruel.
"Hi, I'm Thalia.  I specialize in necromancy, manipulation, and strategy; it will take none of those to turn your pasty butt into buttery paste."  And she stepped into his threatened space.  He flipped a knife out of his sleeve and thrusted wildly.  She dodged it and grabbed him by his ponytail, rolling to his side as she pulled him to his knees.  She let go of it and pulled his arms behind his back, forcing him to the ground as she did.  She leaned in and whispered into his ear.  "First offense loses you your armor, multiple offenses loses your sword too; lie and I take much, much more.  Now tell me, how many times have you done this?"
He whimpered and said, "First time, I swear, this was the first time."
She looked up at Katie and shook her head.  Katie closed her eyes and nodded.  She lifted her hand in a ball of frostfire and brought it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment