Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Short Story; 'Not another zombie movie'

"Aaaaggghhhh!" 
"For the last time child, we're not there yet."
"Just practicing, I mean we're about to get dropped out of a low flying aircraft into a city that's experiencing a class three solanium outbreak.  I feel like I ought to have a decent scream."
"Kid you do realize that zombie movies tend to invert the usual rules of survival.  The more you characterize yourself, the more likely it is one of us has to shoot you."
"Oh, now I am scared.  I mean you guys all call me by my first name, its written on my breastplate, you call me kid I'm doomed!"
"I'm obligated to tell you that you won't die on my watch, but you probably will.  I trust your papers are in order?"
"Yes sir.  Are you obligated to tell me that by the part you're playing in all this, because the gristled captain rarely lives either."
"No, government mandated."
"Ah, so then AAGGGggghhhhhh!"
The door below them opened.  A repulsor field slowed them as they hurtled to the ground, allowing most of them to land on their feet.  He watched the kid, Janis, since she was doomed anyways her name made no difference now, land flat on her back, the wind knocked out of her.  Sure enough a nearby zombie lept on top of her before anyone could react and started trying to rip her armor off.  He lifted his rifle to shoot it off of her, but then spotted a crowd of them sprinting at him, the kid would have to wait.  The rest of his men followed his lead, leaving Janis to deal with the zombie on her own.
Kid was doomed anyways. 

Forty against ten, at this range it was even odds.  They took lines and opened fire, slaughtering the crowd in seconds.  He turned and heard a shufling behind them.  Kid hadn't stood a chance.  He pulled his pistol and spun to finish her killer.  Instead he saw her pulling herself up, holding a fragment of the thing's skull.  Her breastplate was shattered, most of it falling off just from the shifting of her movements.  The armor on her right arm had shared its fate, as had the helm and legguards.  He quickly revised his opinions of her, between the somehow aesthetically pleasing battle damage of her armor and the way her hair was somehow blowing in the nonexistant wind, she was clearly now the heroine. 
"Janis, I'm revising the plan.  You're in charge for the duration of this op.  Lead on kid."
"Alright, first order of buisness.  I'm imposing a fourth wall on this affair, from now on keep your opinions about who's going to die and why to yourselves.  Not like we're in the plot cult here, we run things based on the way the government tells us to run things."
"Actually.."
She didn't let him finish, a sharp glance made it clear how she'd be dealing with idiocy. 
"From now on, this is live; not another zombie movie."

No comments:

Post a Comment