Sunday, April 25, 2010

Chapter Twenty-One, Waveblade

The people of Marelle thanked her for her help, and the Alicea made haste for the mainland. If Tasand had already begun his campaign it would only be a matter of time before the monastary would be attacked, and she would be needed in its defense.

She found Orion on the deck. He'd been ill-tempered and elusive the whole trip.
"Captain, what's been wrong with you? Something back in Marelle has affected you. I mean, it's not that I don't regret the loss of your crewmen, it's just that you need to move on."
"Did you see his sword? Tell me, what sort of enchantments did he have worked into it?"
"None, but it seems forged using some technique I've never seen before. I'd love a chance to work with it and see what I could actually do with a weapon like that."
"It's a waveblade. My family has passed down the secrets of their forging for generations, long before the Junlaerd. They defuse magic wherever wielded against it, with it in his hands Tasand will be able to block any spells he can respond to."
"How many has your family made?"
"We don't know. Maybe a few hundred, any before the Empire were destroyed by the Junlaerd in his battles with the Kingdom of Stone. Every family member has forged one at some point, this one is mine."
He drew a slightly curved, single-edged knife from a hidden scabbard at the back of his belt. He held up it up to the sunlight and she saw that the blade was tinted a metalic pink. The properties were exactly like tha blade Tasand had drawn in Marelle, unenchanted but strong.
"And your other family members?"
"I'm the only one left. When a Waveblade dies he's burned with his blade. Every last one of our blades was melted down with its owner, except Juline. Tasand is wielding my daughter's blade. I thought I was over it, but the idea of my daughter's killer being right here just..."
"You'll get your chance Orion. If you join us as we head back to the Monastary you have my word that we will fight Tasand again, and next time you'll have your chance."
"Very well. I'll come along."

No comments:

Post a Comment