Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chapter Nineteen, Meeting of the Commanders

"Kraulu, what is the name of this town?"
"This is Marelle, uncle."
"Ah good. Let us proceed then."

General Tasand had been allowed to enter the town square, along with a few companions. The citizens of Marelle, along with Alicea and her companions, had gathered to listen to the anticipated ultimatum.

"You have fought well, were you my own men I would award you great honor. Instead I offer you another month to recover and to prepare for our next battle, or to leave if you do manage to see the folly of your path."
One of the warriors beside him turned, his ears perked in shock. "Tasand, the Alpha only gave us a month to capture the planet. We can't afford to keep fighting that long, he'd have your head for it."
"The Alpha will recieve the best results I can honorably give him. Or have you forgotten the teachings of Hrak the vanquisher? Respect the enemy who withstands your onslaught, for he has proven himself a warrior. And if the Alpha wants to do things differently, he can leave his pillows and scratching women and do it himself."
"General, that sounds like treason." An official looking warrior wearing the Alpha's tabard stepped forward, tailed stiff agressively.
Tasand didn't even bother with a rebuttal. He tore his sword from its bindings and decapitated the Alpha's lackey. Then he turned to the rest of his companions.
"I'd been wanting to do that since we got here. Now I can finally conduct this war the way I want to. Now, who is your leader?"

The crowd looked around in confusion. Other than the last statement and the first they had understood none of what was said. Alicea stepped up and faced the general, clearing her throat as she did.
"Revered General, I am Alicea."
"You are young, it is impressive to see one with so little experience rally so sound a defense."
"The people of Marelle rallied their own defense. I am just here to call them to arms."
"Then you are the one that Haelvan sent. The Alpha warned me that there was a powerful warrior there, it is an honor to face you at last."
"The honor is all mine. I heard of your deeds on Mrococo."
Tasand's ears drooped somewhat. He was a clever warrior. He'd even thought to feign sorrow at having caused so much death to the people he was addressing.
"I did as I was ordered; nothing more, nothing less."
"You did it well. No doubt you intend to do the same here; I want to make sure you understand that I intend to oppose you at every turn."
"I expect nothing less. May the spirit of the Earth accept your bodies with honor."
"And the spirit of the light guide your souls from this world safely."

No comments:

Post a Comment