Friday, October 30, 2009

chapter four

Sorry, busy weekend.
Halloween party, bowling, etc...




chapter four

Commander Arkha was impatient. They had entered the palace nearly four hours ago and the guards were still holding out in the hall that connected the throne room to the rest of the palace.

"You and you; come with me." It was time to take matters by the scruff of their neck and make the prize the seers had promised him, his.

The bodies of Nieldic guards and palace servants littered the floor; several of his own warriors lay still, slowly being consumed by the blood. He made a mental note to mention this development in his report; heavier boots would be nessesairy for future armies.
The gates were not barred, but the guards had built a barricade to deny his men access, fools.
"Traonih! Teach these pups who the true masters of Anatolia are."
A good seer, but Traonih was to old to be put on a front line like this. His reputation, however, was such that his very presence inspired the men to greater feats, and that was before he even began to weave his first spells.
"I dare not commander."
"what!"
"There is a poweful force within that room. I fear that f I enter it; I shall not depart."

Then his suspicions were correct; what the seers had told him would indeed come to pass.
"By the authority of the Alpha himself. I order you to destroy that barricade!"
"Then my death is certain. I pray the demon of this world devours your soul that I might revisit this grievance, Arkha son of Brakh."
Traonih turned. He lifted his staff as he began to recite an incantation of destruction. As he brought down his staff, the barricade was blasted inwards.
Arkha smiled as his warriors rushed in, slaughtering the remaining guards. This was his day, and it was quickly growing better. For there before the throne was the one he sought.

"What is the meaning of this, this outrage!"
"This is the only chance I shall offer you to surrender, fire-blooded scum."
"neve.."
The armored figure to the right of Lord Lathorian silenced him with the harsh sound of her stave hitting the luxuriously tiled floor.
"What are your terms, tailed one."
Arkha motioned, his crossbowman raised their weapons, aiming directly at Callin.
"Your complete surrender."
"Unaceptable. The empire will never allow you rebels to get away with this."
"Then we are done talking"
The twang of crossbows echoed throughout the large chamber. Callin brought her staff around, deflecting many bolts effortlessly and dodging the rest with equal ease. One of the dodged bolts silenced the still protesting noble before he could even rise from his throne; while Callin deftly redirected another to lay low the elderly seer, still standing in the doorway; resting of his recent cast.
Arkha motioned for his men to stop; his intended target was slain, and he now had things exactly where he wanted them. Now, to set his plan in motion.

"The seers are not so blind as they may appear, guardsman. I know what you are."
"That is a bold accuastion. I hope you know what I would have to do if you were correct."
"Men! Leave us. We must discuss terms."
He looked up into Callin's dark eyes, trying to percieve her next move. As they stood watching each other cautiously, the Ga-Vok warriors fliled silently passed Traonih's body as they exited the room.
"What do you want, mortal?"
"I was told a prophecy while I was a young warrior, barely past my first hunt. The seers foretold that I would find a woman of otherworldly power. I have found you, and I can offer you what you desire."
"And what is it that you desire in exchange?"
Arkha grinned wickedly, "You must not be as powerful as I thought if you need to ask. I will let you have your way with this world; but only so long as I may have my way with you."

Callin stared blankly at the commander. Then she strode across the room to Traonih's body, and bending over it incanted a dark word. A shrill, piercing cry rang out; Arkha stepped back, reaching to his katar in fear. The cry was cut off mid howl, and Callin rose.
"Show me you are worthy. Bring to me the dearest possesion of the wealthiest man on this world. Then, I shall fulfil your desires, Arkha Shadesworn."

No comments:

Post a Comment