Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Short Story; Story Time, pt 1

"..And then we saw it, an army, ten thousand strong, hopping towards us, yelling their.."
"Hold it lady, did you just say they were 'Hopping'?"
"Yes I did, rather quickly too.  You could feel the ground shake as they came, the fall of every paw matched by a hundred others.  And they were quite large too, and armored.  It was one of the..."
"Hopping?"
"What's wrong with hopping?"
"Its just, normally people charge or run towards things.  What kind of army hops?"
"The Harakai kind, now as I was saying.."
"You mean those big, fuzzy monks you see in the movies?"
"Yes, only with armor instead of robes and ruled by instincts instead of chi or karma or whatever they're calling it these days.  As I was.."
"You expect me to believe that an army of Nielda was actually afraid of giant bunny rabbits?"
"Do you want to keep interrupting me or can I finish the story?"
"There is no way that a Nielda, let alone a Secloran, would ever be afraid of a giant, fluffy, bunny."
The story teller sighed and waved for the child to lean in.
"Would you like me to introduce you to the curvature of the planet, or will you shut up and listen to the damn story.  A lot of good friends of mine died fighting Harakai, and I'll not see you make a mockery of their sacrifices just because you can't get your puerile little mind around the idea that those 'fluffy bunnies' were once the greatest threat the galaxy had ever encountered.  If I told you that right now, this very minute, there are things out there in the universe that shiver at the mere sight of the common house-cat, you wouldn't believe me, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.  And I say that as someone with a personal relationship with people who would literally rather fight demons than admit that they'd flunked out of their ninth year at the Academy.  What you believe, is irrelevant to the truth.  Now sit back down, and listen closely."

No comments:

Post a Comment