Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Short Story: Ski Trip

[Might be PG-13, would definitely be by my rating system.  ]

Cast: Rea, Krell, 

Fresh powder showered Rea, adding insult to her already embarrassing predicament.  
"Are you ok?" Krell called as he hurriedly stumbled to her side.  
"I'm embedded in a tree, what do you think smarty-pants?"  She was in fact embedded in a tree, a Nepalyan Scrimul to be specific.  Now Rea would be the first one to admit that it had been a while since she'd been skiing, but when you'd lived for as long as she had, a few decades was nothing, especially compared to how long it had been since she'd ridden a bike.  
"Stupid question, would you like some help getting out of the tree?"
Wasn't that sweet of him?  Not that she couldn't do it herself, but it'd make him feel better to help.  And It'd probably be good for her to show a bit of trust.  Thalia had always been telling her how she needed to let other people in, how she was so closed off.  
"Not that I couldn't get myself out, but yeah, that'd be nice."
"Ok."  He took her hand and braced himself against the tree.  She'd rather expected him to use magic, but apparently he didn't think it necessary.  Maybe she hadn't been as embedded as she thought she was.  
"Thanks," She brushed herself off and pulled a spar from her leg.  "I don't know what happened, I must have miscalculated my momentum."  
"Here, let me fix that."  He sat down and rolled the leg of her pants up.  She barely even noticed the pain, not so much out of the numbing to the sensation born of her many years of experience as out of shock at his boldness.  And yet it was a..pleasant sort of shock, and she found herself anticipating his actions, rather than frightened by them.  He lowered his hand onto the wound, the cold mountain air being driven off by the warmth of his spellcraft, and she felt her flesh weaving itself together beneath it.  He didn't utter a word until after he'd gently rolled the heavy garment back down to her ankle.  "Better?"
"Yes, thank you."  She swallowed her breath, trying to hide what she'd just felt.  He rose, not noticing, and held out a hand.  She took it and joined him.  "I don't know what's going on with me lately.  I'm tripping over myself all the time, I broke that man's arm on accident in the hotel the other day, and now I slide out of control into a tree.  What's going on?"
"You're...your body changed a fair bit recently, and with as accustomed to your old, younger body as you were you're probably having to adapt a lot to the new height and..uhm..proportions."  
Proportions?  "Are you calling me fat?"
"No.  Nothing like that, just..you have..I mean your..nevermind."
"Oh."  She blushed, and tore them through space back down the mountain, a safe distance from the hotel, and started walking towards it.  "I'm sorry for snapping at you like that.  I've just been so moody lately."
"Its ok, I understand.  Let's go get some Hot Chocolate."  
"With whipped cream?"  She stopped and smiled back at him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment