Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Witch and the Lich; The Hall of Phantoms, Part One

Credits; Krell, Rea,

Krell stepped into the next room and found it to be nothing but endless blackness.  No walls in sight, but it wasn't actually dark, just black.  The walls were black, which made it somewhat hard to navigate.  He moved forward and collided with the wall.  A labryinth apparently, no wonder the walls looked so uniform and dark.  Well, he'd just need to feel his way through.  He reached across and tried to touch the other wall.  They were too far apart for him to reach both at once, and on moving to determine the distance he realized that it was about eleven feet across.  He decided to not even try marking it, and just began weaving through It wasn't an especially complicated labryinth, it felt almost like a queue that you couldn't see through. 
Then suddenly he found himself in the middle of an open room, walls all exactly like the ones in the labryinth.  On the other end of the open space he saw Rea, sitting quietly facing the wall. 
"Rea?  Any sign of an exit?"
"I don't see why I should have to tell you."
"Because we're in this together, even if I am kind of a jerk about it sometimes."  She really wasn't handling it well.  He knew he'd annoyed her but he hadn't realized it was this bad. 
"Well maybe I should just leave you here.  I can do this just fine on my own.  I went twelve thousand years doing this on my own and I don't need you running around telling me not to put myself in harm's way."
"Rea, I'm sorry.  I just don't want you to get hurt, I know you can't, but I can't help but worry.  It's my fault and I'll work on it."
"So you want me to just forgive you so you can go and do it again in a few hours?  How stupid do you think I am?"
How stupid did she think he thought she was?  Something wasn't right about this, he just couldn't quite put his thumb on it. 
"Well I'm not taking any chances.  I'm getting through here and you're not coming with me."
She flipped the blades from her gauntlet and rushed him.  He sidestepped and pulled his sword from the air.  She recovered quickly and leapt at him again.  He defelcted her and slid to the side.  The blades pierced the ground and the tiles broke on the impact.  She pulled them from the ground and swung at him again.  He parried and backed up a little more.  Then he teleported and unsummoned his blade.  He knew what was going on and he wasn't going to let them get away with it any longer.  She pounced at him and ran the blades into his empty ribcage.  He grabbed her arm and pulled her in. 
"You had me going there for a bit."
"W-What?"
"It's a very good illusion, but it would take far more than an illusion to replicate her.  The real Rea has the speed of the shadow, the grace of the wind, and the strength of a demon.  You are not Rea."
"Of course I am, now let me go!"
"Sever Magic"
The illusion fell, and he could feel a ripple of magic being torn away from the now very frightened young woman in front of him.  He hadn't just destroyed the illusion that had hidden her, he'd severed the oath that bound her to the treasure.  For a Medean, it meant freedom.  But in that freedom was exile, and a loss of purpose; he had killed everything she'd ever known.  And he knew that no exile should be suffered alone. 
"I do not hold this against you.  It was simply your responsibility.  I am sending you to someone else who needs protection, and a friend.  She will show you wonders you could never imagine and from her you will learn things no mortal has known for time immeasurable.  Her name is Arcania, and she is very lonely, and hurt, and sad.  Be like a sister to her, and remind her that she need not be alone."  He held out his hand and opened a door in the void, and the woman curtseyed low out of fear and admiration.  She stepped through and vanished, but Krell knew that if this was what they had tried to do to him, then they would have done the same to Rea.  He blasted an exit in the labryinth and charged off to find his missing companion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment