Saturday, November 28, 2009

chapter nineteen

"So these are your men?"
"Handpicked and meticulously trained."
"They don't look it; no armor, inconsistent weapons, no apparent command structure. How do you manage to do anything."

Daniel's men were loading the trucks. Kiera was actually quite impressed, there were nearly a thousand men. It was the largest force she'd ever seen.

"My men know what's expected of them, and what's allowed. The officers are out there, a lack of distinguishing marks keeps them from being specially targeted. And as for equipment, they're mercenaries not soldiers. What they have is what they can provide themselves. And since custom made equipment isn't cheap; you can't blame them for picking the weapons that work best for them."
"That sounds rehearsed."
Daniel laughed, "True, It's always good to have answers when clients have questions."
"This is just another job to you, isn't it?"
"Not quite, this job has considerably higher stakes than most. Which reminds me, we haven't agreed on payment yet."
"This is service to your Emperor; the gratitude of the empire will be reward enough."
"I'm not working for so intangible a prize; what's your next offer?"
"I'm sure the Emperor will grant you a commendation."
"I'm not interested in what the Emperor has to offer. Have you ever actually met him?"
"Well, not exactly. But I have attended several state dinners and his representatives speak very highly of his majesty."
"His majesty has recently reached the venerable age of eight. I'm no more interested in garnering his good graces than I am in working for free. What can you offer me from her highness, the princess of Anatolia?"
"Knighthood for yourself, with land and heredity; A pension for your men."
"My men will be glad to hear that, few of them had any hopes of retiring."
"Then you accept?"
"I'd like to make a counter offer actually. I have land and no need of a title. Perhaps you could think of something a little more enticing for a wealthy bachelor."

Great, he was coming on to her. This trip was already looking to be a long one.
"No, that's my best offer. And if you try anything, anything at all, and I'll give you nothing."
"Hear me out. All I'm asking here is one date, dinner a movie, whatever you feel like. I'd pay, just give me a chance before completly disqualifying me. If you don't like it I won't call again."
"I'll think about it, but until then keep it to yourself. Last thing I need to worry about is fending off the advances of my mercenary captain."
"Deal."

Enge walked up behind Kiera, "Captain, everything's loaded up. Will you be riding or walking?"
"I'll walk, but feel free to take a ride yourself."
"Yes sir."
Enge started walking off, then stopped and turned around.
"There's one other thing, we found a little girl trying to join the group. She..."
"Tressa, she's with me."
"Then you were aware that an eleven year-old was trying to follow a band of," Enge glanced at Daniel, "Mercenaries. Into battle most likely, but certainly into danger."
"She's my apprentence. Where I go, she goes."
"If the lady says the kid comes, the kid comes. There's a pension in it for everyone if we win."
"So you negotiated a fee already?"

Daniel didn't reply.
"I'm going to go load up, tell Tressa to come ride with me."
"Yes Ma'am. Right this way."

No comments:

Post a Comment