Friday, November 27, 2009

Act2; chapter seventeen

Dame Allistari hadn't been kidding when she said Count Marche threw a good party. Apparently it was traditional to hold a feast in celebration of victory, and he hadn't held back.

Kiera wasn't interested in the festivities. She was happy to have won of course, but she couldn't help but think of the people who weren't safely tucked up in mountain fortresses like this. She watched the horizon nervously; from the upper tower she could see into the next county. There were campfires in the farthest hills. Tonight they were safe, but she wondered how long that would last.

"Not much for festivities I see."
A man had come up the stairs to the tower. He wasn't armored, but he did carry a long, curved sword.
"If you're tired I could arrange with the servants for a room."
"You aren't a guard,what's your buisness here?"
"My apologies, we haven't been properly introduced. I'm Captain Daniel Stone."
"Ah, so your the bodyguard."
Daniel paused, "Well, you could say the count owes me one or two if that's what you meant."
"Is it true what they say about your having dropped out of the guard training program?"
He laughed, "I recieved training from a member of the guard. I could have been a member, but the guards and I don't see eye to eye on a few critical issues."
He turned and looked out across the fields.
"What are your plans now? Your people are safe here, we have food and supplies. Castle Marche could hold out gainst a siege for years."

She had planned to discuss it first with Dame Allistari and Count Marche, but she knew what had to be done.
"We may be safe here, but the rest of the planet isn't. I'm going to go town to town and train them to fight back. I can't sleep soundly knowing that they aren't safe."
"I should warn you, I make a point of not allowing myself to be commanded by anyone who can't beat me in a fight."
"What?"
"Well, It's very simple. Enge, come in here."
A second man came in with a wooden sparring sword and a pair of shorter wooden knives.
"I trained Enge personally, he is my equal with the naked blade."
Enge tossed her the sword.
"Beat him, and my men and I will serve you."

Kiera readied her weapon.
"And if I don't?"
"Would my being there change your plans? It sounded like you were set on going before I'd offered my services."

He was an odd one, but she needed all the help she could get.

No comments:

Post a Comment