Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Other Witch; Messenger

The ship was dark.  Everyone else had gone to sleep hours ago.  Salvia, as she often did, was sitting on the Observation Deck looking out across the stars.  Suddenly she heard a voice, not from outside of the ship, as was said to occur during Tesser jumps, but from close beside her.  She glanced around, feeling at her surroundings with her mind in the hopes of deciphering the source of the voice.
"Don't look so hard, you'll hurt your eyes sweetie.  Besides, I'm not really...not sure what the right noun for that would be.  Here?  Alive?  Present? Existent?  Suffice to say, you won't find me, feel me, smell me, or taste me, although I'd certainly get a kick out of it if you tried that last one."  The voice giggled.  It was feminine, young, and strong.  "Don't tell Dad I said that, he's always so straight-laced and melodramatic.  Or Mom, she'd tease me for it."  It paused.  "You can call me, 'Sparta', for this is not madness.  Or you can call me 'Alice', because I've been to wonderland and back."  Salvia wasn't sure if she believed the first one, but was quite sure she did believe the second.  
"Who are you really?"
"Right now, a glimmer in my parent's eyes.  But soon, a person.  A person you'll meet in fact.    Look, just now you did, isn't that wonderful?  We've finally met."   A peel of laughter echoed about the room, seeming to come from the walls themselves.  
"I need to sleep, this is making me crazy."
"I'm sorry, Astral Projection is new to me and I'm afraid the non-corporeality is making me somewhat giddy.  Well, more giddy than usual anyways.  I'm here to deliver a message."
"Can it wait, I really just want to go forget this ever happened."
"Always so serious, alright then.  The message is for Katherine Immersfeld."
"Who?  I don't know a Katherine Immersfeld."
"You'll meet her on Stormguarde, that's why I'm giving you the message now.  'You've been spared death so that a lesson might be taught.  Seek out the daughter of shadow and light, the child of priest and witch, and the heirs of life, the universe, and everything.  Let you who possess the knowledge of ages share it with those that are to follow, and mourn not your innocence, but be willing to give all in protection of these your wards.'  She says she'll understand.  Something about a book she read once, she kind of muttered about the title 'something pedia' or whatever.  I'll see you in a bit Sals, toodles!"
The silence was only slightly less disturbing than what had proceeded it.

The next morning found her still on the observation deck.  It wasn't as though she especially disliked her room, although it did bother her for some reason, but the observation deck just had such a lovely view.  That and she'd been a bit too bothered to move after her encounter.  Prophecy was part of the coven's training program, and she'd definitely received one last night.
"We're getting ready to land.  Stormguarde awaits."
"Do you know of a Katherine Immersfeld?  You seem familiar with the powers that be, so I thought you might."
Braga paused and stroked his beard.  The fact that Ga-Vok were naturally furry made it more difficult to notice, but he actually had a fairly decent beard, considering.  It was clear that he knew a great deal on the matter of great and ancient people, which only made it more difficult to remember the right one.
"Yes.  She was the Princess.  Daughter of Thalia Immersfeld, and a rather capable villainous in her own right.    She left mysteriously a few centuries before the Frostbourne war, had a fight with her mother about...something.  No one ever talked about her after that, but you can catch the Gravagans talking about her some times.  All trace of her sort of drops off after that.  The war put an end to life as they'd known it.  Thalia was dead, and there still hasn't been a succesor.  There are rumors that she had other children; a son who runs a library that no one has heard of, a daughter who had been building all the devices for her, and another who'd signed up with Arcania during the war.  There's even a rumor that Old Cloak was her consort, but nothing verifiable.  Why do you ask?"
"I had a...let's call it an inkling.  I think she's on Stormguarde, and I need to talk to her."
"Our priority is talking to the Countess obviously, but if you think there's a chance the lost princess of Gravaga could be here, then we certainly ought to find her.  James and I will accompany Old Cloak to the palace.  You should begin your search in the Gravagan district, they would be the most likely to have noticed her.  Try and join up with us this evening in the palace, I'll explain things to Old Cloak."
"Thank you."
Braga sauntered off towards the door.  Salvia grabbed her cloak and made for the side airlock.  First things first, she had to figure out how to get to the Gravagan district.

No comments:

Post a Comment