Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Necromancer's Stone; Invitation

Thalia woke up with a thump, or possibly because of it.  After recovering command of her senses, and rubbing the new bump on her head, she glanced around the room.  Last thing she could remember was Hal sitting next to her.  She was wearing the same clothes she had been the night before, and considering which part of the bed she'd fallen off of it wasn't likely he'd moved her; so she felt rather safe assuming nothing had happened.  Not perfectly safe, but enough not to dwell on it.  The room looked equally untouched, except, and it took her a moment to notice it, a folded note on her nightstand.  She walked around the bed and picked it up.  The lettering was precise and elegant, and he'd tied it with a purple ribbon.  She didn't remember having had any purple ribbon, but it was odd thinking of a swordsman as having purple ribbon in his pocket.  The letter was short and to the point, reading simply:

Thalia,
I'll go ahead and answer your questions in the order I think you're most likely to ask them.  
About five in the morning, no of course I didn't, and through the window.  
The questions being; when did I fall asleep, did you do anything ungentlemanly to me, and how did you get out?
I'd like to apologize for the way I spoke to you earlier, I suppose its probably last night to you now.  I was overly harsh, and I shouldn't have brought it on so suddenly.  But I'm not taking back what I said. I'd like to believe that you know, and on some level agree with, what I said.  If that's the case, then I want to be a part of what you're doing.  If you want to stay where you are, doing what you do, treating people like pawns; then I'm happy to have met you, and will carry on with my life.  
If you want to talk futures, meet me at The Fuzzy Librarian for dinner.  Don't worry, believe it or not they actually do a pretty good burger.  
-Hal


Thalia looked over at the clock.  It was nearly six, the time when the Arcane Academy's cafeteria served dinner.  She grabbed a cloak out of her closet and started heading to the door.  She stopped as she reached it and picked up the ribbon and tied her hair back.  She wasn't sure what she wanted, but he had been right about her behavior.  All of the acting, being a villain, threatening people all the time; it wasn't what she wanted, not really anyways.  What she really wanted was to make the world a better place.  And she had the feeling that was what he was talking about.  They may have gone about it in different ways, but they did both want to make the world a more orderly, wholesome place.
Besides, she'd never really had a guy invite her to dinner before.

No comments:

Post a Comment